Compounding is the magic that happens behind the counter at Family Pharmacy. This is where the creativity and expertise of your Family Pharmacists, Family Pharmacy staff and physicians really shines. No two patients are the same and no two people react exactly the same way to the same medication. At Family Pharmacy you and your prescription are treated according to your unique needs.
As an independent pharmacy, we have the flexibility to fill compound prescription needs quickly with next-day shipping, quick service, and excellent products. All our medications compounded by DexRx are prepared at the direction of a physician – some are commonly prescribed and others are designed to treat particular disease states.
Benefits of Compounded Prescriptions
The benefits of compounded prescription medications are wide and varied:
- Compounded medications can be formulated into alternative delivery forms, such as topical gels, creams, or nasal sprays, giving the health care professional and the patient a wider range of delivery options.
- Patient allergies and sensitivities that occur with commercially available drugs can be overcome with compounded prescriptions that are preservative, dye, and lactose-free for example.
- Discontinued and commercially unavailable medications can be custom made so that you do not have to go without.
- Compounded pain medications can often prevent the problems of drowsiness, dizziness, and stomach discomfort, which are just a few of the side effects associated with standard pain medications.
- Compounded medications are ideally suited to sports medicine and physical therapy scenarios where musculoskeletal pain due to inflammation is a problem, but injections are difficult.
- Custom-compounded medications are vital to a successful veterinary practice where hard-to-find medications or uniquely formulated compounds are needed to ensure easier delivery and patient’s compliance with drug regimens.
- Compounded customized hormone therapies are a viable alternative for patients who would prefer to avoid conventional hormone replacement medications.
- Compounded prescriptions are a unique way to deliver medications to patients who are otherwise resistant to traditional forms of medications, such as a lollipop for oral sedation for children.